The Whiskey Highball is a classic cocktail that combines the rich flavors of whiskey with the refreshing fizz of carbonated water. This simple yet elegant drink is perfect for those who appreciate the smoothness of whiskey but also enjoy a lighter and more effervescent beverage. Here’s how to make the Classic Whiskey Highball.
ounces of your favorite whiskey 2
4 to 6 ounces of chilled carbonated water (club soda or sparkling water)
Lemon or lime wedge (optional, for garnish)
- Fill a highball glass or a tall glass with ice cubes. The use of ice is essential to keep the drink cold and to dilute the whiskey slightly, allowing its flavors to open up.
- Pour 2 ounces of your preferred whiskey over the ice. You can choose from a wide range of whiskies, such as bourbon, rye, or scotch, depending on your taste preferences.
- Slowly pour 4 to 6 ounces of chilled carbonated water into the glass. Adjust the amount according to your desired level of dilution and effervescence. You can use club soda or sparkling water for this purpose.
- Gently stir the mixture with a long spoon to combine the whiskey and carbonated water. Be careful not to agitate the drink too vigorously, as this may cause excessive fizzing and loss of carbonation.
- Optionally, garnish the drink with a lemon or lime wedge. Squeezing a wedge of citrus into the cocktail can add a refreshing twist and enhance the overall flavor profile.
- Serve the Classic Whiskey Highball immediately and enjoy its crisp and invigorating taste. Sip it slowly to savor the flavors and appreciate the balance between the whiskey’s depth and the sparkling water’s lightness.
additional tips and variations to consider when making the Classic Whiskey Highball:
- Experiment with different types of whiskey: While the recipe calls for your favorite whiskey, don’t hesitate to try different varieties to discover new flavor profiles. Whether you prefer the smoothness of bourbon, the spiciness of rye, or the smokiness of scotch, each whiskey will bring its unique character to the cocktail.
- Adjust the whiskey-to-soda ratio: The recipe suggests a 2:1 ratio of whiskey to carbonated water but feel free to adjust it to your liking. If you prefer a stronger whiskey flavor, use a higher ratio of whiskey. Likewise, if you prefer a lighter and more refreshing drink, increase the amount of carbonated water.
- Enhance the flavor with bitters: To add depth and complexity to your Whiskey Highball, consider incorporating a few dashes of aromatic bitters. Angostura bitters or other cocktail bitters can elevate the overall flavor profile of the drink, imparting subtle herbal and spiced notes.
- Try flavored carbonated water: For a twist on the classic recipe, experiment with flavored carbonated water. You can find a variety of flavored sparkling waters in stores, such as lemon, lime, or grapefruit. These can add a subtle hint of fruitiness and enhance the overall taste of the cocktail.
- Customize the garnish: While the Classic Whiskey Highball is often enjoyed without a garnish, you can get creative and personalize it to your liking. Instead of the traditional lemon or lime wedge, consider adding a twist of citrus peel, a sprig of fresh herbs like mint or rosemary, or even a few berries for a touch of color and aroma.
- Serve with a whiskey stone or whiskey ball: If you prefer to keep your drink chilled without dilution, you can use a whiskey stone or a whiskey ball instead of ice cubes. These accessories are made from non-porous materials that retain cold temperatures without altering the whiskey’s flavor.
Now you can sit back, relax, and enjoy this timeless cocktail. The Classic Whiskey Highball is a versatile drink that can be enjoyed on various occasions, from casual gatherings to sophisticated events. Its simplicity allows the whiskey to take center stage while the carbonated water adds a lively effervescence that complements the spirit’s distinct characteristics.
Remember to drink responsibly and savor this delightful beverage in moderation. Cheers!