Start your day with a satisfying and protein-rich breakfast by treating yourself to these delightful oven-baked egg bites. The best part? You can leave the sous vide appliance and Instant Pot in the cupboard—this recipe simplifies the process by using your oven. Bid farewell to waiting for water to heat or pressure to build. With this hassle-free method, you can enjoy the deliciousness without any complications.
A Versatile Dish for Any Time of Day
While your oven preheats, take advantage of the opportunity to prepare your preferred combination of vegetables and mix-ins. For ultimate convenience, chop the veggies the night before and store them in the refrigerator. With a bit of advance preparation, all that’s left to do is mix the ingredients, fill the muffin tin, and let the oven work its magic.
Although this recipe features a medley of tender raw vegetables, feel free to customize the egg bites to suit your family’s taste. Keep it vegetarian with a selection of raw vegetables, or enhance the heartiness by adding cooked crumbled bacon, sautéed diced ham, or sausage. For an earthy twist, sautéed mushrooms make a fantastic addition. Whether enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or as a delightful brunch dish, these egg bites are sure to please.
Expert Insights from Our Recipe Tester
- Cooking spray
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- 2/3 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped packed baby spinach
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 134
- Fat: 10g
- Carbs: 2g
- Protein: 10g
Easy Steps to Prepare Your Oven-Baked Egg Bites
- Gather all the necessary ingredients. Preheat your oven to 350°F and position a rack in the center.
- Spray a 12-well muffin tin with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, shredded cheddar cheese, half-and-half or whole milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg (if desired) until thoroughly combined.
- Add the diced tomatoes, coarsely chopped baby spinach, and thinly sliced green onions to the bowl. Mix gently until the ingredients are well combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin cups, pouring approximately 1/4 cup of the mixture into each cup.
- Bake the egg bites in the preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until they are set, puffed, and lightly golden. Keep in mind that they may slightly deflate once removed from the oven.
Variations to Elevate Your Egg Bites
Quiche Lorraine-Style Egg Bites: For a classic twist, omit the tomatoes and spinach. Replace the cheddar cheese with 3/4 cup of finely shredded Gruyère cheese and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Add 1/2 cup of cooked diced bacon, 1/3 cup of sliced green onions, and a dash of nutmeg.
Proper Storage and Freezing Tips
Refrigerate any leftover egg bites in a covered container within 2 hours of baking, and consume them within 4 days for optimal freshness.
To freeze any remaining egg bites, start by arranging them on a baking sheet and placing them in the freezer until they become solid (usually 1 to 2 hours). Once solid, transfer the frozen egg bites to a zip-close freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months. When you’re ready to enjoy them, thaw the egg bites in the refrigerator overnight.
For reheating, you have a couple of options. For a quick warm-up, microwave the egg bites for 20 to 30 seconds. Alternatively, place them in a baking dish and heat them in a preheated 350°F oven or toaster oven for approximately 10 minutes.
Preventing a Rubbery Texture
To ensure tender and fluffy egg bites, avoid overcooking them. Bake them just until they are cooked through and set. When reheating, warm them only until they are heated through. This approach will help maintain their desirable texture.
Embrace the Convenience and Nutritional Benefits
Enjoy these easy oven-baked egg bites as a convenient and nutritious breakfast or snack option. Their protein-packed goodness is sure to keep you satisfied and energized throughout the day. With the flexibility to customize the ingredients and the simplicity of the baking process, these egg bites are destined to become a beloved favorite in your culinary repertoire. So, let your oven do the work, and savor the delectable flavors of these delightful egg bites.
- Traditional Irish Stew Recipe
- Introducing The 9 Finest Soy Sauces of 2023: A Comprehensive Guide to Choosing the Perfect Flavor for Your Dish;
- Introducing the Finest Dry Vermouths of 2023: Elevate Your Martini Experience
- Colcannon (Irish Mashed Potatoes) Recipe: A Traditional and Delicious Dish
- Traditional Kedgeree Recipe