Looking for the ultimate breakfast delight? Try this mouthwatering recipe for biscuits and sausage gravy that will leave your taste buds begging for more! Our Southern-style sausage gravy and homemade flaky biscuits combine to create the perfect breakfast dish. This recipe is sure to impress with its incredible combination of flavors, making it the best biscuits and sausage gravy recipe you’ll ever find. Follow our step-by-step instructions for a delicious and satisfying breakfast that will start your day off right.
The Magic of Starting your Day With a Great Breakfast
There’s something truly special about waking up on a Saturday morning to the tantalizing aroma of a homemade breakfast. While weekdays may call for plain oatmeal or freezer breakfast sandwiches, weekends deserve something more exciting. That’s where this sausage gravy recipe comes in—a cherished all-time breakfast favorite.
Once you taste these homemade biscuits and gravy, be warned that you’ll never want to order it from a restaurant again. It’s an experience that surpasses any other, making all other versions pale in comparison. The good news is that making this dish is surprisingly easy—it’s one of the simplest things you can whip up in your own kitchen.
To take this breakfast to the next level, serve the sausage gravy alongside a perfect homemade buttermilk biscuits. These biscuits are light, flaky, and irresistibly delicious. The process of making them is straightforward, using basic pantry ingredients to achieve outstanding results. Believe me when I say they far surpass anything you can find at the store.
The Ingredients of a Perfect Biscuits and Sausage Geavy
Let’s begin by exploring the ingredients for the sausage gravy:
- Pork sausage: Use any type of sausage you prefer, whether hot or mild. You can even substitute it with bacon or other chopped meats.
- Flour and butter: These ingredients add flavor and help thicken the gravy.
- Half and half: Alternatively, you can use whole or 2% milk as a substitute.
- Seasoning: Enhance the flavors with thyme, rosemary, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
The Process of Making the Perfect Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
Now, let’s dive into the process of making the biscuits. Get ready for an extraordinary homemade buttermilk biscuits experience:
- Combine the dry ingredients: Mix baking powder, flour, and salt together in a large bowl. Grate frozen butter into the flour and incorporate it using a pastry blender or fork. Place the mixing bowl in the refrigerator, ensuring all the ingredients stay cold until the biscuits go into the oven. This cold environment guarantees flaky and tender layers, similar to a puff pastry.
- Add the wet ingredients to the mixture: Add the mixture of buttermilk and honey to the flour mixture from the fridge, stirring until just combined. Put the dough onto a floured surface and shape the dough into a ball.
- Shape the dough: Press the dough with your hands or a rolling pin into a rectangle that’s approximately half an inch thick. Fold the dough into thirds, as if you were folding a brochure. Repeat this process once more, pressing the dough down to half an inch thick before folding it into thirds again. These steps create layers that result in wonderfully flaky biscuit texture.
- Cut the biscuits: Roll the dough until it’s about half of an inch thick, then use a cutter to cut it into your desired sizes.
- Bake the biscuits: Place the cut biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake them for 10-12 minutes at 400°F.
Now that your biscuits are ready, it’s time to make the sausage gravy:
- Brown the pork sausage in a large saucepan, using a paper towel to blot out most of the grease.
- Once the sausage is browned, reduce the heat to medium-low and sprinkle flour over the sausage. Stir continuously for about a minute to cook the flour and create a roux.
- Slowly pour in the half and half while stirring the mixture. Continue cooking and stirring until the gravy thickens to your desired consistency. If it becomes too thick, you can add more half and half or milk to thin it out.
- Season the gravy with thyme, rosemary, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. Adjust the desired seasonings based on your taste preferences.
Keep the gravy warm on low heat until you’re ready to serve.
To assemble the biscuits and gravy:
- Split the biscuits in half and place them on individual plates or a serving platter.
- Ladle the warm sausage gravy generously over the biscuits, making sure each biscuit is well covered.
- Serve immediately and relish the delightful taste of homemade biscuits and gravy.
Whether you’re hosting a weekend brunch or simply craving a comforting breakfast, this Biscuits and Gravy recipe is guaranteed to satisfy. The flaky biscuits paired with the rich and flavorful sausage gravy create an unforgettable dining experience. Get ready to be amazed by the perfect balance of textures and flavors in every bite. Enjoy this Southern classic with your loved ones and savor the joy of a homemade breakfast that will leave you yearning for more.
Read more articles: